1. HOLLYWOOD: Grantland‘s Mark Harris explores the complexities of black actresses exclusively getting Oscar nominations for playing maids.
2. CALVIN: From BookRiot, 16 things that Calvin and Hobbes say better than anyone else. Includes “You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don’t help.”
3. DIET: In an extreme example of the conflation of skinny with healthy, a teenage girl endangers her health with an all-nugget diet. Don’t worry though, she was still thin! Ragen Chastain at iVillage explains where we went wrong.
4. LEGO: More on Legos, I know, enough already! Except I can’t help myself… Anita Sarkeesian at Feminist Frequency is just too damn articulate to pass up! In a tw0-parter, she explains the history of Legos and gender.
5. BOOKS: I love the stuff that science can figure out these days. The latest in the list of SUPER IMPORTANT DISCOVERIES is pinpointing exactly what old books smell like.
6. ART: Italian artist Anna Utopia Giordano has taken a digital scalpel to famous works of art to see what impact traditional photoshopping would have on Venus de Milo. What happens when you apply modern beauty standards to the knockouts of the Renaissance?
Related Post: Pro-lifeers + Planned Parenthood, Disney medley, inside a whale…. Sunday 46!
Related Post: The Lovings of Virginia, Peggy Orenstein, and Tim Gunn…. Sunday 45!